Full course description
$99 $59 - use the discount code OCEANS during check out (limited-time offer expires August 15, 2024).
Introduction to the Blue Economy is a completely online, asynchronous, and self-paced course. You’ll enjoy the flexibility to learn on your own time, from anywhere in the world.
The blue economy describes a way of thinking about sustainably generating wealth from the ocean. Whether you are a policy maker, fisher, scientist, or technologist, this introductory course is designed to teach a shared understanding of what comprises the blue economy, and how we might manage it, measure its output, and finance it. This three- to five-hour self-paced course will expand your knowledge of the blue economy and lay a foundation for deeper learning in more specialized topics.
- Type / Modality: Online
- Estimated completion time: 3-5 hours
- Number of modules: 4
- Language of instruction: English
- Activities and content: Video lessons, readings, short knowledge checks, case studies, and self-reflection activities.
- Technical Prerequisites: A networked computer or mobile device is required, as is the capability to stream multimedia audio and video.
- Completion Rewards: After you successfully complete this course, you’ll earn a certificate of completion and a badge to share on your social media profiles and with current and potential employers.
This course is for you if . . .
- You are a professional in any field with interest in or responsibility for ocean and coastal policy.
- You are interested in learning about current important ideas about the ocean.
- You want to learn the fundamentals of ocean accounting.
- You are looking for a basic understanding of financial resources for ocean environmental conservation and conservation.
- You want an overview of the blue economy before exploring more detailed subjects.
What you will learn
- The diverse components that define the blue economy.
- The challenges of managing complex social and economic systems as they work together.
- The fundamentals of ocean accounting and how this evolving field can keep track of the contributions of the blue economy.
- The basics of the rapidly evolving field of blue economy finance that brings together public and private finance to provide the resources needed.
About the instructor
Dr. Charles Colgan is the Director of Research for the Center for the Blue Economy (CBE) and is Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Ocean and Coastal Economics (JOCE). Dr. Colgan has more than 40 years experience with coastal and ocean issues. He has directed coastal management programs, developed the foundational ocean economy accounts for the U.S., conducted industry assessments and development plans for ocean industries, and developed methods for assessing the risks of climate change to coasts and ocean.
Join our mailing list
Not interested in this course, but want to be notified about future options?Sign up!